Sheer Khurma Recipe
The “Sheer Khurma” is a traditional Eid breakfast, made with vermicelli, a ton of sugar, cow’s milk, lots of dry fruit and nuts fried in clarified butter (again, cow’s milk).
Obviously, I ain’t about that life, hence, I had to veganize the original version of the Sheer Khurma. First, I thought of just looking up a vegan recipe, since, by now, almost everything has been veganized anyway. But to my utter dismay, there were none. Anyway, it is a “vegetarian” recipe, and turning that vegan is a child’s play, isn’t it? But turning it vegan AND healthy? Now that’s something to think about..
So my recipe is not just vegan, but it is also refined sugar free, plus, the nuts are air fried! Boom! 💥
- 5 cups non-dairy milk of choice (I used the three ingredient organic soy one from Alpro).
- 1/2 cup vermicelli
- 1/4th cup Dates, chopped (adjust according to the sweetness preferred)
- 1/2 cup nuts of choice (almonds, walnuts, cashews, pistachios)
- 2 tbsp raisins (I personally don’t like raisins so I didn’t add them)
- A good pinch of cardamom powder
- 1 tsp rosewater (if you like it in there)
- Saffron strands (optional)
- In a pan, dry roast the vermicelli until it is golden and fragrant.
- In another pot, get the milk to a boil.
- Next, add the toasted vermicelli, dates, raisins and cardamom powder to the milk.
- Once the vermicelli is thick and has absorbed a considerable amount of milk, about 10-12 minutes, turn off the flame.
- Now, add in the rosewater. 🌹💦
- Next, toast the nuts in the airfryer at 200°C for exactly 4 minutes. There is no preheating required.
- Add in the toasted nuts, garnish with saffron strands and serve!
And that’s it! Quick, simple, delicious, and quiet healthy, I would say!
Stay tuned for many more simple recipes, coming soon!
Subscribe if you haven’t already, to get them straight into your inbox! 📥