Air fried Onions Fritters (Oil free, Gluten free)
Although I am not a big fan of onion, these onion fritters used to be one of my favourites, until I started to be more conscious of what I put into by body. Ever since then, deep fried food went out of question. But then, something amazing happened. The airfryer entered the scene. And trust me, it’s a game changer!
Now, my fritters are much crispy, don’t get soggy, and best part, they are completely oil free! Here is the recipe.
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp chickpea flour
- 1/8th tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp tumeric powder
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- A small bunch of fresh coriander, chopped
- Salt to taste
- Cupcake liners
- Add all the ingredients to a bowl except the water and mix well until the flour and spices coat each slice of onion.
- Next, add teaspoon amounts of water and mix until a thick paste is formed. It must NOT be runny.
- Add a teaspoon of the batter into each cupcake liner. (You can grease them if you would like, I use silicon liners, so there is no need to).
- Preheat the airfryer for 3 minutes at 180°C.
- Once preheated, carefully add the liners filled with the batter into the airfryer basket and fry at 180°C for 10 minutes.
- Once the 10 minutes are done, take the fritters out of their liners, place them back into the airfryer basket and put it back in for 3 minutes at 200°C.
- When it’s done, take it out and serve hot with cilantro and/or tamarind chutney!
P.S. Although this is an air fryer recipe, you can still deep fry it if you choose to. And you can bake them too on a silicon baking sheet or parchment paper to keep it oil free. Fo baking, preheat the oven to about 220°C, bake for 20 minutes at 220°C, then reduce it to 180°C for another 10 minutes to get it crispy, keeping an eye on it so as to avoid the edges from burning.
Stay tuned for many more simple recipes! And subscribe for new posts straight in your inbox, if you haven’t already! 📥