I get it. We all love our traditional ethnic foods, but not all of them happen to be the healthiest dishes out there, am I right? 🥗
Now Biryani is something that’s loved by all, but uses a ridiculous amount of oils. And that is one of the main reasons why people tend to avoid it. Also, a lot of people tend to avoid white rice, because of reasons we best not dive into right now.. ✌️
So I have the most perfect solution, and that is an Oil free Quinoa Biryani! 🎉
For the record, this is a vegan biryani (duh!), so feel free to use all or any of the vegetables you’d like, add in some tofu if you fancy it or cashew cream if you have it on hand. You can add in whatever spices you like, skip what you don’t want in your biryani, it’s all your choice, this is just a basic recipe, keep it as a base, and take it from there! Alright, enough talking, let’s take a look at the ingredients, shall we? 🔎
- 1 cup Quinoa, cooked
- 1 1/2 cups Vegetables of choice (carrot, peas, beans, cauliflower, onion, tomato, potato, mushroom is basic)
- 1/4 cup coriander and mint leaves, chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger, chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic, chopped
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp Biryani Masala*
* If you can’t get your hands on a ready blend of biryani masala spices, the package contains a mix of chilli, tumeric, ginger, garlic, coriander, cumin, cinnamon, clove, black pepper, cardamom, star aniseed powders and salt. Feel free to use whichever you wish to!
- Wash and cook the Quinoa according to the directions on the package and set aside.
- Next, in a dish, add in 1/4 cup water and bring it to a boil.
- Once the water is boiling, add in your onions, ginger, garlic and salt.**
- When the onion has gone translucent, add in the biryani masala and the rest of the vegetables, and let it cook through, until they are all done. Keep and eye on it and add water as needed to prevent things from sticking to the bottom of the dish.
- Next, add in the cooked quinoa and mix well.
- Garnish with the chopped greens, and serve hot with a side of cucumber salad or some plant based yogurt!*** Enjoy! 🔥🎉
**The salt helps break down the onions faster, since we are not using any oils, this is the best stage to add in that salt!
*** Recipe for the yogurt coming soon, stay tuned!
PS. Stay tuned for many more simple recipes, and subscribe for new posts straight in your inbox, if you haven’t already, so that you don’t miss out on anything! 📥