Lentil Stuffed Peppers
Making stuffed peppers is a fairly long and complicated task. There! I said it! I started with something negative. But hey, that should absolutely not put you off from making this recipe! Know why? Simply because no pain, no gain! And it’s totally worth it in the end, I promise! 👍
Now stuffed peppers can be prepared in multiple different ways, and the stuffing options are endless too! For the sake of this recipe, I will stick to my favorite version, that is lentil stuffed peppers. Other options could include quinoa, beans, mushrooms, root vegetables like carrot, potato or sweet potato, a mix of everything, or anything else that you fancy! 👏
- 2-5 bell peppers, depending on the number of mouths you have to feed, halved and deseeded
- 2 cups cooked lentils, your choice here, I do mixed lentils
- 1 cups chopped mushrooms 🍄
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large, ripe, red and juicy tomato, finely chopped/blended 🍅
- Herbs and spices of choice, keeping this 100% up to your tastebuds, although you can read my recommendations down below*
- Oil to sauté (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Any plant cheese** 🧀
- Lots of patience!
*I’ve made this recipe quite a few times with different herbs and spices, but hands down, favorite of all time is the “Qeema Masala“, easily found in the spice isle. Other than that, fresh basil and/or parsley goes will with it. Also, red chilli flakes, dry oregano, dry thyme, black pepper and cumin powder is highly recommend. You could add bay leaves in too, I personally find it a pain to take them out later so I always avoid it!
**Recipe for my grateable cashew mozzarella coming soon, keep watching this space!
- Sauté the onions and garlic with the salt until translucent.
- Add in your chopped mushrooms.
- Add in your herbs spices and sauté.
- Dumped in the tomato and let it simmer until it is cooked through.
- Lastly, add in the cooked lentils, let the mixture dry out completely, then set aside.
- Place your halved bell peppers in a baking dish and bake it for 15-18 minutes at 180°C.
- Take it out once it is done, then stuff in your lentil mixture carefully, trying not to burn yourself.
- Top it off with the cheese, then bake for another 20 minutes or so or until the cheese turns golden.
- Serve hot! 🔥
Stuffed peppers can also be made on the stove top or in an air fryer!
PS. Stay tuned for many more simple recipes, and subscribe for new posts straight in your inbox, if you haven’t already, so that you don’t miss out on anything! 📥